Join Our Newsletter
Receive the latest news on new promotions, exclusive offers, and new arrivals.
We are a small company dedicated to providing the purest skin care products and most biologically active health supplements available. Our skin care products are ideal for any health savvy consumer, but are specifically designed for those with sensitive skin. Each item is backed by our expert analysis and high standards for ingredients.
Our Commitment to You
Unfortunately the term "all-natural" has lost its meaning through the years. Too many manufacturers are touting their products as natural or organic, but continue to include synthetically derived ingredients which can irritate sensitive skin and dramatically reduce therapeutic potential.
Our products, however, represent the purest and most natural skin care lines available. Each item is individually selected based on our own strict purity criteria. Our criteria is designed to reduce your exposure to potentially harmful substances and to be tolerated by even the most sensitive skin.
Our Purity Stocking Criteria:
All-Natural - For optimal nourishment, sensitivity tolerance, and therapeutic value the ideal skin care product should be made with unrefined (raw), preservative-free, organic ingredients that are cold-processed (without the use of heat). Unfortunately, skin care products that meet these criteria are few and far between. Some processing takes place in almost every product on the market. At Pure Complexions, we offer the safest, most unrefined and minimally processed skin care products available. As the market improves, so will our selections. *
No Synthetic or Formaldehyde Releasing Preservatives - No Parabens, Urea Derivatives (Imidazolidinyl Urea (IMID, Germall 115®), Diazolidinyl Urea (DU, Germall II®), Quaternium-15, Tris (hydroxymethyl) nitromethane (Tris Nitro®), 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (Bronopol™), DMDM (dimethylolmethyl), hydantoin (Glydant®), MDM Hydantoin (formaldehyde) etc...
No Petrochemicals: Defined as synthetic chemicals derived from petroleum. (No Parabens, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 60(contain PEG-ylated sorbitan), Aldehydes (Formaldehyde), Benzene, Acetone, Hexane, Methanol, Ammonia etc...)
No Chemical Solvents - (propylene glycol, acetone, benzene, hexane, etc...) When possible, we prefer products whose extracts and oils are naturally isolated without the use of petrochemical solvents.
No Phthalates (pronounced tha-lates): dimethyl phthalate (DMP), diethyl phthalate (DEP), and dibutyl phthalate (DBP).
No Irritating Detergents - [No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), Ammonium Laurel Sulfate (ALS), etc...]
No Herbicide or Pesticide Residues - We carry products whose ingredients are certified organic, wild crafted, or verified pesticide free.
No Animal Testing or Animal Cruelty
No Artificial Fragrances or Synthetic Essential Oils
Selective Use of Essential Oils - Essential oils are used to scent, preserve, and enhance the therapeutic benefits found in natural skin care products. Although these oils have many positive effects, their place in sensitive skin care products is dependent on three factors; pesticide status, isolation method, and quantity used. These factors are important because essential oil quality can make or break a sensitive skin care product.
- Pesticide residues have no place in sensitive skin care products, thus we prefer to stock only products whose essential oils are either certified organic, wild crafted, or at the very least are verified pesticide-free through laboratory testing.
- Isolation method is the process through which an essential oil is separated from its plant source (roots, bark, flowers, leaves, stems, etc..). We prefer products whose essential oils are either steam distilled using pure water or cold-press extracted. There are no chemical solvents used in the steam distillation or cold-pressing process. See our FAQ page for a list of our manufacturers that use solvent-free essential oils in all their products.
- Quantity used. Sensitive skin tolerates lower concentrations of essential oils better than higher concentrations. Naturally, we prefer products that don't contain aggressive amounts of essential oils.**
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *Natural Exceptions
A few of our products contain refined and processed ingredients and are offered on our site for "transitioning" purposes. Meaning two things; 1. They are ideal for customers who are new to the “natural” market and are looking to replace their mainstream products with something similar in texture but with much less chemical risk. 2. More natural formulas are unavailable and these synthetic ingredients are allowed until safer products emerge.
Iron (III) oxides, zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide are synthetically processed. In nature, these ores are potentially bound with other contaminants, so they must be synthetically purified in a lab. Since these oxides are relatively benign, we have made an exception to our synthetics rule. Our motto is to provide our customers with the purest products available. Iron oxide and or titanium dioxide is present in 99.99% of all "natural" cosmetics, without them we wouldn't be able to offer a makeup department. As for zinc oxide, it is currently the safest sunscreen approved by the FDA. As purer choices become available, you will find them here.
Triglycerides (Caprylic/Capric): A fractionated oil similar to natural triglycerides that is derived from coconut oil. It is a mixture of glycerin, caprylic and capric fatty acids. Coconut oil is typically fractionated via a method known as Dry Fractionation. Dry fractionation involves cooling the oil and mechanically separateing the liquid and solid parts with only a filter or centrifuge. Unlike other methods of fractionation, dry fractionation does not involve the use of solvents (such as hexane or acetone). Caprylic Triglycerides are only present in our more highly refined products and are designed for our “transitioning” customers who want to be "healthier", but aren’t ready to give up the soft and non-greasy feel of synthetic skin care products. This ingredient can be found in some of our Devita, UV Natural, and Zuzu Luxe products.
Stearic acid: A saturated fatty acid found naturally in animal fat and some plant oils (e.g. cocoa butter). It is waxy solid that is commonly found in many mainstream skin care products. It has a a low toxicity risk and is "safe" for human consumption. This ingredient can be found in some of our Devita, Organic Excellence, and Zuzu Luxe products. Stearic acid is typically prepared one of two ways commercially;
- Hydrolysis: An animal fat is mixed with water and high pressure/high temperatures to break down the whole fat into smaller fatty acids (stearic acid) and glycerol.
- Hydrogenation: A unsaturated fatty acid (usually oleic acid) is heated and mixed with hydrogen (H2) and a catalyst (frequently nickel) to produce the more solid saturated fatty acid called stearic acid.
**A small percentage of our products, namely highly requested items, may contain what we consider aggressive amounts of essential oils. However, for your convenience, these items are clearly labeled as having a significant scent.
Tried and True Standards of Excellence
Similar to the skin care market, the health supplement market is saturated with companies that crank out low quality products with questionable results. In an effort to make things easier, we implemented our Tried and True Standards for the supplements we offer. Our health supplements meet the following criteria;
- Research Based - Our supplements are not only effective but are supported by professional peer reviewed research studies.
- Low to No Heat Enzymes and Nutrient Processing - For the most superior enzymes and nutrition available, we only offer products whose manufacturers implement low to no heat processing techniques. Research shows that enzymes, vitamins, and other nutrients are very susceptible to heat and begin to degrade significantly when exposed to anything over 119 degrees F and are fully "altered" when exposed to temperatures above their boiling point [e.g. water vigorously boils at 212 degrees F]. In order to maximize your healing potential you should always favor supplement companies that respect and address these processing problems.
- No Preservatives
- No Chemical Solvents
- No Artificial Flavors
- No Artificial Colors
- No Tablets or Gelatin Capsules - Tablets are 2 times harder to absorb than gelatin capsules due to high pressure/heating techniques. Among other things, the high heat can damage the nutrient in the tablets, thus disqualifies them from our store. Gelatin capsules, on the other hand, are 2 times harder to absorb than vegetable based capsules. In order to fully benefit from the supplements you are taking, we recommend that you choose vegetarian (cellulose-based) capsules over tablets and gelatin capsules. For this reason, we only stock supplements encased in vegetarian capsules.
- Pure Complexions Tested - We have personally tested all the supplements we offer and have been using many of them for years. We only keep the best of the best and incorporate most of them in our Holistic Healing Consulting Practice.
Professional Strength Supplements - Our Holistic Healing Clients get access to our professional strength supplements simply by logging in to their account. Some of our professional supplements include; World Nutrition's VitalzymX, and the brilliant Premier Research Lab line. For more information about our professional supplements and Consultation Practice see our Consulting page.
Copyright © 2018 Pure Complexions. Powered by Miva