Saliva testing for Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate (DHEA-S).
DHEA is a testosterone precursor shown to have direct effects on the immune system independent of testosterone. DHEA and its sulfated form, DHEAS, are produced predominately by the adrenal glands. Youthful levels are at the high end of the range; levels decrease with age and are usually at the lower end of normal in healthy middle-aged individuals. Athletes tend to have higher than normal DHEAS levels. Low DHEAS can be caused by adrenal exhaustion and is commonly seen in accelerated aging and diseases such as cancer and chronic illness (i.e Autoimmune Disorders, Crohn's, Ulcerative Coltis, and Chronic Fatigue). High DHEAS is associated with insulin resistance/PCOS (polycystic ovaries) or DHEA supplementation.
Why Test DHEA-S (verses regular DHEA)?
Levels of DHEA-S (DHEA sulfate) reflect adrenal
gland hormone function. While regular (un-sulfated) DHEA levels are typically only used to detect the presence of adrenal tumors.
Saliva testing of DHEA-S can help:
What should I expect after I send in my test?
- Determine if you would benefit from DHEA supplementation (i.e. clinically low or sub-optimal levels).
- Monitor your DHEA-S levels during supplementation to ensure you have adequate levels without excess.
Retesting frequency is dependant on your daily dose of DHEA and is usually done every 1 to 3 months while on DHEA supplementation and then checked once every 6 to 12 months after you stop supplementation to ensure you maintain therapeutic levels. Talk to your health care practitioner about how often you should be testing your DHEA-S levels.
- Track treatment progress
Your results are returned to you within 5 to 7 business days from the date ZRT receives your sample. The test report includes:
- A graph showing where your hormone levels fall within set ranges. Levels can be either within or out of normal range.
- A second graph detailing the symptoms you listed on your self-evaluation form. Symptoms are grouped according to the indicated category of hormonal imbalance. Symptoms are also correlated with the hormone levels identified through ZRT testing.
- A comment field providing an individualized review of your hormone evaluation.
1 DHEA-S Test Kit (Saliva). Includes a pre-paid UPS-Ground shipping label and envelope to return your specimen to ZRT Labs [ZRT labs is located in Oregon].
When to collect your DHEA-S saliva sample?
How to collect a saliva sample:
- Men: Collect saliva sample any day of the month.
- Women: Collect saliva sample any day of the month. DHEA-S is an adrenal hormone, so DHEA-S levels are not influenced by menstrual cycle hormone fluctuations, so all women can collect DHEA-S saliva samples on any day of the month.